A Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) scan is a quick, non-invasive exam that uses very low levels of radiation to measure bone mineral density (BMD). This test detects bone loss in its earliest stages, and is the most effective way to diagnose and monitor osteoporosis. DEXA scans are the most accurate in assessing fracture risk or treatment needs.
Employing the most advanced technology available, The Women’s Imaging Center at Imaging Specialists uses Hologic DEXA equipment for high quality imaging, high speed, unmatched precision.
Your healthcare provider may recommend a BMD test if you are:
- A postmenopausal woman under age 65 with one or more risk factors for osteoporosis
- A man age 50-70 with one or more risk factors for osteoporosis
- A man age 70 or older, even without any risk factors
- A woman or man after age 50 who has broken a bone
- A woman going through menopause with certain risk factors
- A postmenopausal woman who has stopped taking estrogen therapy (ET) or hormone therapy (HT)
Talk to your healthcare provider about these and other risk factors for osteoporosis that may require BMD testing.