At Imaging Specialists’ Women’s Imaging, we provide a private suite of advanced imaging including 3D mammography. Every Tuesday, our team shares mammography tips on our Facebook page. Here is a look at some of the tips you need to know before scheduling your next mammogram.
1. Deodorant – Skip the deodorant before your mammogram. It can actually show up and require extra films. Imaging Specialists provides deodorant for your use after the exam.
2. Check your Calendar – It needs to be one year plus one day between mammography appointments. This is for insurance and screening purposes.
3. Prior Records – It is helpful for our radiologists to have your prior mammogram films. If you have had a mammogram at a different location, simply fill out this form BEFORE your scheduled mammogram. We will facilitate getting your prior mammography films for you! https://www.imagingsc.com/records-release-authorization/
4. Implants – It is important to notify our team of implants when you schedule your appointment. Implants require more films, which call for a longer appointment time.
5. What to Wear – When coming in for a mammogram, make sure to wear bottoms. You need to wear clothing that is easy to remove from the waist up, as our capes are waist length.
6. Compression – Why the squeeze? Compression keeps the breast still, it makes the surface area smaller and spreads out the tissue which helps with cancer detection.
7. Nursing – If you are currently nursing or have nursed within 6 months, wait before scheduling your mammogram. Allow your breasts 6 months to return to normal before scheduling.
8. 2D vs. 3D – Unlike 2D mammography, 3D Breast Tomosynthesis takes X-ray pictures of each breast from many angles that are not available in traditional mammography.
Most important tip of all: Mammograms save lives. Your very best defense is early detection and diagnosis, made possible through an annual screening mammogram. Schedule yours today! https://www.imagingsc.com/online-appointments.