A Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) scan is a quick, non-invasive exam that uses very low levels of radiation to measure bone mineral density (BMD). This test detects bone loss in its earliest stages, and is the most effective way to diagnose and monitor osteoporosis. DEXA scans are the most accurate in assessing fracture risk or treatment needs.
Employing the most advanced technology available, The Women’s Imaging Center at Imaging Specialists uses Hologic DEXA equipment for high quality imaging, high speed, unmatched precision.
Your healthcare provider may recommend a BMD test if you are:
- A postmenopausal woman under age 65 with one or more risk factors for osteoporosis
- A man age 50-70 with one or more risk factors for osteoporosis
- A man age 70 or older, even without any risk factors
- A woman or man after age 50 who has broken a bone
- A woman going through menopause with certain risk factors
- A postmenopausal woman who has stopped taking estrogen therapy (ET) or hormone therapy (HT)
Talk to your healthcare provider about these and other risk factors for osteoporosis that may require BMD testing.
Body Composition Scan
Our bone density machine performs body composition scans to aid in the diagnosis of an individual’s overall health. A detailed and carefully measured representation of your body composition helps to predict risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Body composition scans can help you track the benefit of improving diet, exercise and lifestyle.
The GE scanner provides precise data on soft tissue and bone composition, including bone mineral density (BMD), lean and fat tissue mass and percentage of overall fat.
- A non-invasive scan that takes less than 5 minutes to perform and is $55.00.
- A color copy of body composition that includes an image showing where your body fat and muscle are distributed and the amount of fat around your organs.
- Allows you to track the changes when modifications are made to diet, exercise and lifestyle.