A Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) scan is a quick, non-invasive exam that uses very low levels of radiation to measure bone mineral density (BMD). This test detects bone loss in its earliest stages, and is the most effective way to diagnose and monitor osteoporosis. DEXA scans are the most accurate in assessing fracture risk or treatment needs.
Employing the most advanced technology available, The Women’s Imaging Center at Imaging Specialists uses Hologic DEXA equipment for high quality imaging, high speed, unmatched precision.
Your healthcare provider may recommend a BMD test if you are:
- A postmenopausal woman under age 65 with one or more risk factors for osteoporosis
- A man age 50-70 with one or more risk factors for osteoporosis
- A man age 70 or older, even without any risk factors
- A woman or man after age 50 who has broken a bone
- A woman going through menopause with certain risk factors
- A postmenopausal woman who has stopped taking estrogen therapy (ET) or hormone therapy (HT)
Talk to your healthcare provider about these and other risk factors for osteoporosis that may require BMD testing.
Body Composition Analysis (BMI testing)
Our new bone density machine now also performs BMI calculations to diagnose an individual’s overall health. A detailed and carefully measured representation of your body composition helps to predict risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Body composition can help show the benefit of improving diet, exercise and lifestyle.
The GE Prodigy Pro Bone Densitometer provides precise data on soft tissue and bone composition, including bone-mineral density (BMD), lean- and fat-tissue mass, and percentage of fat.
- This non-invasive scan takes less than 5 minutes and is very affordable
- Provides patients with body composition through distinguishing fat and lean mass and detects metabolic changes
- Focuses on specific body parts including arms, legs, and abdomen
- BMI testing aids metabolic health
- Provides detailed information that can help patients in making therapeutic decisions
- Detects changes in the body as well as overall health